Paolo is a Sr. Associate at RMI, currently working in the Business Renewables Center. He is an expert in energy markets and joined RMI in September 2015.
Paolo comes to RMI with a wide energy expertise matured in the oil&gas industry and across different geographies. He held roles in regulation, business development and commercial strategy for natural gas at Statoil, during an interesting time in which the company, among other things, invested in US shale gas production. More recently he spent time as an oil and products originator for Eni Trading & Shipping, focusing again on the US, as well as East Africa. Prior to turning to the private sector, he served at the World Bank, the Council of the European Union, and NATO.
Paolo has published on topics related to natural gas, electricity and energy policy, and has been a fellow of the Transatlantic Academy in 2012. He teaches an annual course on the value chain of gas and electricity at Sciences Po, in Paris.
- Ph.D. in Economic History - University of Cambridge (UK)
- MA in International Relations - Johns Hopkins SAIS
- BA in International Studies - University of Bologna (Italy)
- Energising the TTIP: Political economy of the trade policy rationale (with Christian Egenhofer and Gergely Molnar), CEPS, July 2015.
- The 'Unknown Knowns' of the Global Gas Market, CEPS, October 2014.
- L’energia e il futuro dello stato sovrano (In Italian. "Energy and the future of the sovereign state"), in L. Zambernardi (ed.), Scenari di transizione. La politica internazionale nel XXI secolo, Il Mulino, 2012.
- The U.S. Natural Gas Revolution: Will Europe Be Ready inTime?, Transatlantic Academy, May 2012.
- The Myth of Fuel Price Stability: Transatlantic Lessons, Transatlantic Academy, May 2012.
- A Nuclear Twilight in the West, and Dawn in the East, Transatlantic Academy, April 2012.
- High Oil Prices and a Strange Kind of Inflation, Transatlantic Academy, March 2012.
- Oil curse, gas blessing? The Case for a TransatlanticCharter on Energy Trade, GMFUS, April 2012.
- UK elections: deadlocked or a wider political system?, Aspenia Online, April 2010.
- Dal gas al nucleare: il “business case” per una transizione (In Italian. "From gas to nuclear: the business case for a transition"), Aspenia Online, July 2009.
- The energy promises of Mr. Obama: a mixed assessment, Aspenia Online, July 2009.