Garrett is an Sr. Associate in the Electricity practices, his work had primarily been focused on grid integrated distributed energy generation systems and their impact on utility economics and business models. Garrett is currently working on an extension of RMI’s Simple BoS project, Battery Balance of Systems, conducting a deep dive analysis on understanding cost drivers and barriers in the hybrid PV-Energy Storage market.
Garrett studied Mechanical engineering at Santa Clara University with a focus on sustainable energy engineering where he participated in the 2007 and 2009 DOE sponsored solar decathlon, designing and building a stand alone solar powered home. After his time at SCU Garrett completed his Masters in Earth Resource Engineering at Columbia University in the department of Earth and Environmental Engineering. Immediately following his M.S. work he began his doctoral work in the same department studying a novel method of producing natural gas while sequestering carbon dioxide in the arctic permafrost regions. During his doctoral work he collaborated with a fellow PhD student to develop Solar Journey USA, an education and outreach project focused on demonstrating the potential of PV and EV integration into the new energy infrastructure. The portable PV power station was then used for relief efforts during the months following hurricane Sandy in NYC and finally the system was disturbed to NYC schools as educational kits in collaboration with the WWF . Garrett joined RMI in November 2013.
- Ph.D -2013, Earth and Environmental Engineering, Columbia University, New York
- M.Sc Earth Resource Engineering – 2009, Earth and Environmental Engineering, Columbia University, New York
- B.S Mechanical Engineering-2008, Santa Clara University, California
- Fitzgerald, G.C., Krones, J.S., Themelis, N.T. Greenhouse gas impact of dual stream and single stream collection and separation of recyclables. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2012 69:50-56
- Fitzgerald, Garrett C., Chapter 5 "Pre-processing and Treatment of MSW Prior to Incineration: An Overview of Practices and Technologies." Waste to Energy Conversion Technology. Ed. Naomi B. Klinghoffer and Marco J.Castaldi : Woodhead Publishing