Jacob works in the RMI Buildings Practice, beginning as a Manager in Sept. 2015 with a focus on transforming the residential energy upgrade market through the Residential Energy+ program and launching the Fort Collins pilot. He has worked in sustainable community development for 18 years with a focus on sustainability innovation, program design, community-based solutions, and collaboration building.
Jacob was previously the Executive Director of EcoWorks, a nonprofit in Detroit that creates opportunities to learn and practice the sustainable use of energy and other natural resources through education, consulting, social business, job training and advocacy. While energy was our main focus, we also worked on water conservation, deconstruction of homes, an amazing youth program and a broad set of sustainable efforts. While EcoWorks provides thought leadership, it has a hard focus on implementing projects on the ground at the home, business, city and state level. Jacob’s work at EcoWorks included many innovations from low-income behavioral changes to launching Eco-D, a national model for ecodistrict development.
Jacob was also the Co-Founder and President of the Southeast Michigan Regional Energy Office, an innovative collaboration of 26 local governments tackling energy improvements in their communities. Jacob was also a co-founder and regional manager of the BetterBuildings for Michigan program, one of the largest and most successful of the DOE's BetterBuildings programs.
Jacob was also a pioneer in the ecovillage movement, actually enjoys public speaking, was an adjunct professor teaching sustainable design at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Architecture, and does work in facilitation and conflict resolution.
- University of Michigan, Environmental Mediation Seminar
- Dispute Resolution Center, State of Michigan Mediation Training
- B.A., Kalamazoo College, Sociology and Anthropology, with unofficial concentrations in Mathematics, Art and Women's Studies
SELECT PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- The Evolution of Eco Detroit (chapter), EcoCultures: Blueprints for Sustainable Communities, Routledge, 2015
- “Energy Star Homes in Michigan” Home Energy Magazine, May/June 2007
- “Why Urban Ecovillages are Crucial” Communities, Spring 2003
- Panelist, North American EcoDistrict Summit, 2014
- Keynote, Michigan Geothermal Association, 2014
- The Lesson of Detroit, US Green Building Council Mid-Year Meeting, 2014
- Living Buildings, Michigan Energy Conference, 2013
- Scaling Up Two Industries, Good Jobs, Green Jobs National Conference, 2013
- Detroit, A Laboratory for the 21st Century, Greening of the Heartland, 2012
- Green Jobs and Detroit's Revitalization, Net Impact, 2011
- Keynote, Greening Your Government, 2010
- The Truth is Not Enough, Crafting Change that Sticks, US Social Forum, 2010
- Sustainable Urban Design, Dialogue with Mitchell Joachim, Jacob Corvidae and Glen LeRoy, Lawrence Technological University, 2010
- The Belly of the Beast, Air and Waste Management Association 102nd Annual Conference, 2009
- The Road to Green Jobs, Governor's Green Today, Jobs Tomorrow Conference, 2009
- Developing a Sustainability Movement in Detroit, Greenbuild, 2008