Kaitlyn is a Senior Associate with RMI, with an interest in microgrids and distributed renewable resources. She is primarily involved with the Electricity Innovation Lab (e-Lab) and RMI’s initiatives to transform energy in the Caribbean islands. She joined RMI in September, 2014.
Kaitlyn joined RMI after completing a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Michigan Technological University in Houghton, MI. Her dissertation research focused on microgrids, and optimizing control strategies for distributed renewable resources. Kaitlyn is a 2010 recipient of the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship.
In 2013, Kaitlyn received the Engineering Innovations Fellowship from the National Science Foundation and the American Society for Engineering Education. This fellowship provides the opportunity to work as a researcher in a corporate setting during the summer; Kaitlyn worked with HOMER Energy in Boulder, CO on their software for modeling microgrids and hybrid electric systems.
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 2014
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Certificate in Advanced Electric Power Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 2012
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Certificate in Electric Power Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 2010
- Engineer-in-Training (E.I.T.)
- Society of Women Engineers; Kaitlyn has served as Collegiate Director on SWE's Board of Directors and as chair of SWE's curriculum committee, along with many leadership roles at the local level. In 2014, Kaitlyn received the SWE Outstanding Collegiate Member award.
- IEEE member; IEEE Power & Energy Society member
- K. J. Bunker and W. W. Weaver, “Optimal Geometric Control of DC Microgrids”, in IEEE Symposium on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL), Santander Spain, 2014.
- K. J. Bunker and W. W. Weaver, “Microgrid Frequency Regulation Using Wind Turbine Controls”, in IEEE Power & Energy Conference at Illinois (PECI), Champaign Illinois, 2014.
- K. J. Bunker and W. W. Weaver, “Optimization of Grid-Connected Wind and Battery Energy Storage System”, in IEEE Power & Energy Conference at Illinois (PECI), Champaign Illinois, 2014.
- K. J. Bunker and W. W. Weaver, “Small-Scale Wind Energy and Microgrids”, conference poster at Women Engineers Leading Global Innovation Symposium, Bangalore India, 2012.