The goal of Sunshine for Mines is to rapidly accelerate the installation of on-site renewable energy capacity—especially solar PV—integrated into the power systems of on- and off-grid mines around the world. We will do this by making it easier, faster, and less risky to procure such energy from independent power producers / project developers.
Undertaken by a joint Rocky Mountain Institute and Carbon War Room team, Sunshine for Mines aims to achieve the following ambitious goals:
- By 2018 five major mining companies have established and are implementing ambitious renewable energy integration plans for a total of 3 GW installed capacity.
- By 2025 renewable energy supplies 15% of the mining industry's electricity, representing 30 GW of cumulative installed capacity.
To achieve these impacts Sunshine for Mines will provide assistance to mining firms by managing the details of implementation, and providing the tools needed to streamline the evaluation and procurement process. Specifically, Sunshine for Mines will undertake the following activities:
- Conduct site-specific feasibility studies and technical design for a few mining companies that have agreed to partner with us. Results of the work will be shared broadly with the industry.
- Develop tools and information to support renewables adoption by the mining industry. This will include: case studies, process descriptions, DIY tools, vetted service providers, term sheet templates, vetted IPPs, and experienced owner’s engineering firms.
- Create a web portal that will incorporate the information developed and provide it to the industry in an easy-to-navigate format.
- Meet directly with C-suite executives and sustainability/energy directors at major mining companies. This will enable us to roll our work out across multiple sites and achieve economies of scale.
- Highlight commitments and successes, utilizing the brands and platforms of our organization and our partners to spotlight and amplify forward progress.
- Convene workshops to work closely with practitioners to identify challenges, identify solutions, and build understanding and support.
- Promote the approach at industry conferences and events by securing speaking opportunities and engaging informally.
Sunshine for Mines has partnered with DNV-GL to offer feasibility assessment and procurement assistance, and is working towards completion of our first project with Gold Fields in South Africa.
- DNV-GL—Operating in more than 100 countries, with 16,000 professionals, DNV-GL is the world’s largest renewable energy consultancy.
- Gold Fields—A South African gold mining firm, the world’s 7th largest, which is listed on both the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
For more information on Sunshine for Mines, please contact:
Operation Lead, Sunshine for Mines